Thursday, September 17, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Paying our respects to Stephen Lewis

Thursday

We gather on the village green to pay our respects to the actor Stephen Lewis, who died a few days ago. His passing reminds me of the days when I would drop into the Servants’ Hall to watch ‘On the Buses’ on their moving television. How we roared! What with that and the racing, I spent more time in the servants’ quarters at the Hall than my own – but then I have always prided myself on being a Radical Liberal.

I had already noticed the double-decker parked outside The Bonkers’ Arms before the commencement of the minute’s silence. As soon as the maroon had been fired, the vehicle began bouncing on its springs. This continued for a while, until a voice cried: “Blimey, Stan, we’re ten minutes late!” Then the driver and a young lady, who both showed clear signs of having dressed in a hurry, scrambled down the stairs and the former leapt into cab before revving the engine and disappearing down the lane to Uppingham.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.


Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary...

Tuesday: Straight Outta Nick Compton
Wednesday: "Row Splits Liberal Party"

No comments: