Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Lord Bonkers' Diary: Coffee with Freddie

A Liberal Democrat adviser adjusts to the new political landscape.

Coffee with Freddie

Who should I meet when I drop into a Westminster coffee bar to treat myself to a cappuccino but Freddie? You remember him: he was one of Freddie and Fiona, the two young advisers upon whom poor Clegg leant so heavily whilst in government.

I ask him what he intends to do now that Clegg has bought the farm. “I was planning to go into PR because I have such a good contacts book,” he tells me, “but then I realised that all the people in it have just gone into PR too.”

I give him some advice, wish him the best of the luck for the future and end by saying: “You know, I think I will have some chocolate on top. Makes a bit more of it, don’t you think?” He gives me my change and I find a table and sit down with the Manchester Guardian.

Lord Bonkers was Liberal MP for Rutland South West, 1906-10.

Previously in Lord Bonkers' Diary
  • He had to Put a Bit on Top
  • Why the Liberal Democrats did so badly
  • No comments: