Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Uprising launches My Voice, My Vote

My Voice, My Vote is a programme for National Citizenship Service graduates who want to develop their passion for social action, democratic processes and digital campaigning.

Participants must be 18 by the time of the general election, and so must be born before 7 May 1997.

Through the My Voice, My Vote programme, participants will:

  • learn about democratic processes in their area
  • understand how to campaign to improve lives in the community
  • expand their networks
  • design and deliver effective social action campaigns
  • prepare to vote in their first general election in May 2015
The programme is running in Birmingham, Manchester, Stoke-on-Trent, Bedfordshire & Luton, and London.

More details on the Uprising website.

If you are old enough to be amazed by the idea of someone born in early 1997 voting, I can remember when I was a teenager. 

We were round at the house of one of our number whose mother was a primary teacher and there was a pile of school reports there. We had a look at them (as you do) and could not believe she was teaching children who were born in the 1970s.

1 comment:

Niles said...

We all have our moments like that. Ed Maxfield once asked me if I had been to Berlin before the Wall came down. It came down when I was 12. I was in turn shocked to discover fellow trainee teachers hadn't been partying on 1999-2000 New Year's Eve as they too had been twelve. Now I am teaching children who were born well after 2000 - and I'm in secondary!