Monday, September 02, 2013

Sir Malcolm Bruce to stand down at the next general election

From The Scotsman today:
Sir Malcolm Bruce, the Scottish Liberal Democrat president and one of Scotland’s longest serving MPs, is to stand down at the next General Election. 
Sir Malcolm, who has been the MP for Gordon since 1983, was knighted in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list in 2012. 
He announced today that he would be standing down at the next election “to make way for some younger people.” 
Sir Malcolm said: “I have really done all the things I wanted to do and set out to do in Parliament. I have seen my Party come from being really a fringe party with, when I started, six MPs who had two per cent of the popular vote to a national party in Government. Now is the time to leave to make way for some younger people.”

No comments: