Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rutland is the happiest place in England

I don't know if Lord Bonkers reminded the participants that their rents fall due on Lady Day before they answered the questions, but the Rutland & Stamford Mercury reports a remarkable finding:
Rutland is the happiest place to live in England, according to a survey. 
The Office of National Statistics says the smallest county was the second happiest place to live in the whole of the UK, only losing out to Orkney and Shetland. 
The results are based on a national poll which asked residents across the UK to rate how happy they were with life.
It is easy to make fun of this and similar projects, but I think that would be mistaken. Go to the Action for Happiness site and you will read:
For fifty years we've aimed relentlessly at higher incomes. But despite being much wealthier, we're no happier than we were five decades ago. At the same time we've seen an increase in wider social issues, including a worrying rise in anxiety and depression in young people. It's time for a positive change in what we mean by progress.
That is surely true. And it is very arguable that it was the increasingly obvious limitations of the post-war 'growth at all costs' philosophy that led to the Liberal revival and the growth of the Green movement.

1 comment:

Martin Brookes @oakhamuk said...

This finding was discussed by two Oakham Town Councillors, of a certain age.

One said I believe they only asked wealthy middle aged woman, they did not ask me? The other said oh middle aged that counts me out anyway stop moaning.

When I speak to some people they often tell me how pleased they are to be paying the highest council tax in the land for the smallest return in services.

My feeling on this is they asked the people who move here to retire.

I myself love Rutland, but it seems I moved here a little early...