Sunday, November 06, 2011

Liz Lynne to stand down as West Midlands MEP

BBC News reports that Liz Lynne told the Lib Dem West Midlands regional conference yesterday that she is to stand down as an MEP:
"Although I still find the work stimulating and worthwhile, the relentless travelling particularly to and from Strasbourg is onerous to say the least. 
"Stepping down now will also give my successor, Phil Bennion, enough time to bed down and make an effective contribution in the remaining two and and half years of this Parliament ...
"I will continue to support the Liberal Democrat party in any way I can. I remain a strong supporter of Nick Clegg's leadership and his work in the coalition government."
Her place will be taken by Phil Bennion, who was second on the Lib Dem list for the region at the last European Parliament election.

I served with Phil on the party's Federal Policy Committee some years ago. But then I am pretty sure I went canvassing with Liz in a GLC by-election in 1984.

No comments: