Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lord Bonkers' Diary: David Laws in his pomp

His lordship wrote this entry just before David Laws' resignation. I once remarked to him that a week is a long time in politics. "Stuff and nonsense," he replied. "Why is a week any longer in politics than in cricket or gold prospecting?"

Nevertheless it does show how long it takes to get a magazine produced and out to its subscribers when you are used to instant publishing on the web.

Wednesday

One of the new Conservative ministerial colleagues puts his head around my door: the poor fellow is in tears! “Can't you do anything about this Laws of yours?” he sobs. “He's cut my departmental budget to ribbons”.

I put a manly arm around his shoulders and pour him a snootful of Auld Johnston, because I know what the new Financial Secretary to the Treasury is like. Some years ago, I asked him to have a look at the finances of the Bonkers' Home for Well-Behaved Orphans and he produced a report urging me to sell the orphans and invest the money in start-up funds in the Far East.

Needless to say, I did no such thing. (I had a word with a bigwig at the Bank of Rutland and he warned me off the Orient for the time being).

Monday: Minister for Outer Space
Tuesday: Coalition in the balance

1 comment:

David said...

20 overs isn't long enough in cricket. I've never prospected for gold.