Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The May 1979 meme

I appear to have become Iain Dale's go to man for memes as he has tagged me with another one.

How old were you?

19

What are your personal political memories, if you have any?

I was not involved in the campaign - my first election campaign was the council elections the following May where I helped a young Julian Cummins. I voted in Harborough by post (for the only time in living memory the Liberals finished third).

I also remember staying up all night watching the results. I suppose they should have been depressing for a Liberal, but in those days our expectations were so low that they did not seem that bad.

Political views held?

I had joined York Liberal students the previous October.

Where did you live?

Goodricke College, University of York.

School/College/Workplace?

I said Goodricke College, University of York.

Favourite TV programmes?

In those days the television room used to fill for Not the Nine O'Clock News, but I did not watch a lot of TV at York.

Favourite band/music/etc..?

It would have been The Jam and Elvis Costello. I was just starting to discover classical music too.

And I now tag Disgruntled Radical, Eaten by Missionaries, The Real Blog, Norfolk Blogger and Liberal Bureaucracy.

1 comment:

Nich Starling said...

Oops, forgot to do this meme. Thanks for tagging me.

For the record,

How old were you in 1979 ?

8

What are your personal political memories, if you have any?

I only vague remember the 1979 election. I certainly remember my Grandma telling me that Thatcher didn't care about families. I do remember the 1983 eleciton well. Indeed, I persuaded my parents to have an Alliance poster in their garden.

I also remember staying up all night watching the results.

Political views held?

Liberal

Where did you live?

Norfolk

Favourite TV programmes?

In 1979 probably Swap Shop and Crackerjack

Favourite band/music/etc..?

I don't know that I was in to music at that age.