Friday, November 21, 2008

My chess career

My mention of the current Chess Olympiad in Dresden reminds me of one of my proudest boasts in the game.

I once beat an Olympiad top board player while playing for Richmond & Twickenham in the London League in 1983 or 1984.

In fact, I beat someone who has played top board for two different countries at Olympiads. His name is Simon Le Blancq and he played top board for Zimbabwe in 1984 and for Guernsey-Jersey in 1986, 1988 and 1990.

I admit that neither country is a chess superpower, but it is a claim to fame of sorts.

1 comment:

Stephen Glenn said...

Well my Chess fame story is playing against someone who in a biographical film the actor playing him used his favoured opening.

The player was Donald Woods who I played with for Surbiton Chess Club. The film Cry Freedom. The opening the Modern.